Author’s Note: This Sonnet was inspired by the list made by painter Agnes Martin, whose own menial, often oddball jobs provided her with the boredom she needed to be creative.
I have worked:
- As a salesperson at a crystals shop in a bird park.
- As a waitron just once.
- As a volunteer dog-walker.
- In a cat hospital, at an animal shelter.
- Teaching someone the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- As an au pair.
- As a freelance writer for a doomsday prepper website.
- As a volunteer facilitator for special needs kids.
- As an on-and-off writer for a local travel company.
- In a witch’s costume, promoting a Disney Channel movie.
- As kidtrepreneur, selling shitty microwaved candles to my neighbors.
- As a gift wrapper in a children’s toy shop.
- As a user experience designer.
- As a summer intern at the national museum, putting labels on taxidermied animals.